- The competition is open to children 18 years old or
younger (as of the deadline).
- Scripts must be written and submitted by the author or
co-authors (not by a teacher or parent) and must be accompanied
by a signed and completed entry form (see below)..
- All submissions must be original material written by the
person(s) claiming to be the writer. Adaptations of previously
written stories, plays or movies will not be accepted.
- The play shall be an unproduced one-act play, with a maximum
playing time of sixty (60) minutes and a minimum of twenty (20)
minutes (the general rule of thumb is one minute per page of
dialogue), for a cast no larger than 15 people. Stage directions
should be separated from speeches by parentheses. Names of
characters preceding speeches and in stage directions should be
in capital letters.
- Scripts must be typed (double-spaced, with numbered pages and
title only on each page) and should include a cast of
characters, a brief summary, and any other production
- Please keep your original script and submit a copy. Scripts
will not be returned.
- You may submit more than one play.
- The play should contain appropriate language and themes for
- The Readers Committee from the ACT Board will select the
winner(s) of the competition. ACT reserves the right to either
select one script only, or select more than one script, or select
none of the submitted scripts as the winner(s).
- While every attempt will be made to ensure the production
does take place, in the event that, for any reason, the winning
script is not produced, neither ACT nor the author(s) shall be
- Scripts may be submitted at any time, but no later than
September 1st, 2006. ACT will notify
all playwrights of its decision by November 1st, 2006.
Prizes (one per script):
- First Prize: $100 & recommendation for a formal
performance of play.
- Second Prize: $50 and two tickets to any ACT performance.
- Third Prize: $25 and two tickets to any ACT performance
- The winning scripts remain the property of the playwright(s)
but ACT retains local production and publication rights for a
period not exceeding five years commencing on the date of the
announcement of the winner. The final word in the artistic and
technical interpretation of the winning script rests with the
- Winners and Finalists are required to credit “The Arlington
Children's Theater's Annual Young Playwrights Competition” (and the
year) on the title page of the script's final draft and in all
subsequent productions of the play.
- Submit scripts and entry forms (see below or on back of this
sheet) to: Steve Smith, c/o ACT Young Playwrights Competition,
P.O. Box 1076, Arlington, MA 02474 or e-mail to:
- For questions or further information, e-mail ACT at
ACT02174@yahoo.com or telephone (781-721-2176).
Please include this entry form with your submission:
Name of Play:
have read the rules and agree to abide by them.
Signature of Playwright:
Signature of Parent or Guardian:
© 2008 Arlington Children's Theater. All rights reserved.