Chicago Character Descriptions
- Roxie Hart
- Innocent, desperate, selfish. Roxie is not very bright and never thinks about the consequences of her actions before she says or does things.
- Velma Kelly
- Sarcastic, tough, funny. Velma is a former vaudeville performer. She killed her husband and her sister after finding them together. Used to being the “headliner” she learns to hold her tongue and make nice to save her vaudeville career.
- Billy Flynn
- persuasive, manipulative, masculine. Billy is a suave, educated lawyer who can persuade anyone to do anything. Billy will take any case as long as it is sure to put money in his pocket
- Amos Hart
- Charming, funny, vulnerable, timid man. Amos is an average guy, not very good looking, not very smart. Manipulated easily, Amos is the only character in Chicago whose motives are entirely pure, never selfish and he's the only character who really loses ultimately
- Matron “Mama” Morton
- funny, powerful and tough. The matron of the Cook County Jail who believes that all favors she gives should be reciprocated or paid for
- Mary Sunshine
- Reporter, a woman with the image of a good natured talk show hostess but is actually a high powered gossip columnist.
- Accused of chopping off her husband’s head. She is actually innocent (one of the only ones), but because she only speaks Hungarian and refuses to plead guilty, she is found guilty and hanged.
- Killed her husband with a shotgun because he “popped” his gum.
- Found out her husband had several wives and killed him with Arsenic.
- Killed her husband with a carving knife after he found out she cheated on him.
- Killed her boyfriend after she found out he was cheating.
- Go-to-Hell Kitty
- Kills her boyfriend in her apartment, goes a little crazy
- Master of Ceremonies
- This person is responsible for introducing all the “Vaudeville Acts.”
- Fred Casley
- Killed by Roxie Hart so her husband, Amos, won't find out about their affair
- Sergeant Fogarty
- Police detective who interviews Amos after Roxie kills Fred. Typical “Chicago” cop who has been through this kind of thing many times
- Court appointed lawyer who tries to defend the Hunyak. He gets extremely frustrated because he can’t understand her language and she refuses to plead guilty.
- District Attorney who is prosecuting Roxie.
- Tailor/Bailiff/Court Clerk/Doctor/Reporters
© 2018 Arlington Children's Theatre. All rights reserved.
Last updated: Sun May 6 2018 16:45 EDT