Tempest Character Descriptions
- The rightful duke of Milan. After his brother, Antonio, seized his title and property, Prospero was exiled with his daughter and eventually found refuge on an island.
- Prospero's daughter. She has been on the island with her father for 12 years—since she was 3 years old.
- Prospero's younger brother, who is now the duke of Milan. He had plotted against Prospero years earlier and now convinces Sebastian to murder his brother, the king of Naples.
- A spirit of the air, he assists Prospero in seeking retribution over his enemies.
- The offspring of the witch Sycorax and the devil. Prospero has made Caliban his servant or slave, and in response, Caliban plots to murder Prospero.
- The son of the king of Naples. During the storm, he was separated from the rest of the king's party, met Miranda, and fell in love with her.
- The king of Naples. He believes his son has died and is overjoyed to later find him. Alonso is repentant for the pain he caused Prospero in the past.
- Alonso's brother. He is easily led into planning his own brother's (the king's) murder.
- An elderly counselor who saves Prospero's and Miranda's lives when they are exiled. He provides a sense of hope and optimism when Ferdinand is lost.
- The king's butler. He arrives on the island drunk and quickly becomes involved in a plot to murder Prospero.
- The king's jester. When Stefano arrives with wine, Trinculo joins him in drinking and then agrees to a plot to murder Prospero.
- Francisco and Adrian
- Two of the king's lords. They try to offer hope and protection to Alonso.
- The ship's petty officer. He is in charge of the deck crew, the rigging, and the anchor. He must try to keep the boat afloat during the storm, even when the king's party makes demands upon his time.
© 2013 Arlington Children's Theatre. All rights reserved.
Last updated: Thu Feb 28 2013 09:45 EST