Sister Act Character Descriptions
- Deloris Van Cartier
- An aspiring performer, trying to find both fame and a place in the world. When forced to hide in the convent, she initially refuses to embrace her new lifestyle but learns to embrace it when she works with the choir. Loud-mouthed, and sassy, but ultimately caring.
- Mother Superior
- The head of the convent, sarcastic and a bit stiff. Extremely protective about keeping her sisters away from the outside world, which puts her in direct opposition to Deloris and her musical teachings.
- Sister Mary Robert
- A postulant, abandoned as a baby and raised at the convent. Shy and soft-spoken, but singing with Deloris lets her find her voice. Her wallflower lifestyle has made her live a shell of a life.
- Sister Mary Patrick
- A nun of the convent. Consistently perky, enthusiastic, and easily excitable.
- Sister Mary Lazarus
- A nun of the convent and the head of the choir. Rather deadpan and the least welcoming of any of the nuns, but she gets caught up in Deloris's soul music.
- Monsignor O'hara
- One of the heads of the convent. Constantly concerned with financial matters, though soul music surprisingly puts him in a different mood.
- A club owner, notorious gangster, and Deloris's boyfriend. Cocky and controlling.
- Eddie Souther
- The desk chief at the Philadelphia police station and a high school classmate of Deloris who helps get her into hiding. Faces a lot of nerves when under pressure, causing him to sweat profusely. He still yearns for Deloris after all these years, and dreams of being her hero.
- Curtis's nephew and one of his thugs. Deft and cognizant of the fact, constantly in a state of ignorant bliss.
- One of Curtis's thugs. Believes himself to be quite the ladies' man.
- One of Curtis's thugs. A natural follower, constantly speaks in Spanish.
- Sister Mary Martin-of-tours
- A nun of the convent. Clearly in her own world, but has her moments of surprising clarity.
- Sister Mary Theresa
- A nun of the convent, the oldest of the group. Decrepit at a glance, but secretly packs a punch.
- One of Deloris's back-up singers. Lippy and always quick with a retort.
- One of Deloris's back-up singers. A little naive.
- One of Curtis's thugs. Initially thought to be a mindless yes-man, he turns out to be an undercover police informant
- Nuns; Bar Denizens (Bar Patron, Waitress, Pool Player, Drag Queen); Homeless People; Fantasy Dancers
© 2017 Arlington Children's Theatre. All rights reserved.
Last updated: Sat Nov 18 2017 16:00 EST